Newsletter | July 2019
Dear parents and carers,
It has been a very busy term as we come to the end of this academic year. We’ve had lots of great successes; fantastic experiences and plenty of hard work and commitment. Now the end is in sight, we can all enjoy our rest over the summer holidays, and come back nice and refreshed in September. This is the final newsletter of the year.
This is always a busy time of year as we bid our final goodbyes to Year 11 through the Leavers Assembly and Prom and welcome the new Year 7s on new intake days. Results day is August 22nd and the academy will open at 9am.
The highlight of this term for me was the production of Shrek this was a wonderful musical production which showcased some real talent. Many thanks to Mrs Leighton and her team for all their hard work.
Mr N Lowry
- This week we welcomed over 200 students into our Academy, as our next Year 7 cohort enjoyed two fun-filled transition days. The days form part of our Transition programme as we get our new students’ and their families used to the Academy as they become part of our community. The students’ enjoyed various activities such as music; Co-op values; Ways of Being; wrote their own rap and much more. They also go to see our current students’ perform the story of the Rochdale Pioneers as well as the growth of the Co-op, and our Academy joining the Co-op Trust.
- Parent Mail (Free app for Parents and Carers) | Communicating with parents is an important part of what we do, making sure you get the correct information about school news, activities and things that really matter is something we care about. Registering with ParentMail is very easy! Over the next few days, you will be sent either an email and/or text message from ParentMail, when you receive this please just follow the instructions in the message. If you need any additional information or assistance please contact Mr Tomlinson (firstname.lastname@example.org – 01782 882300) or go to www.parentmail.co.uk/help/parenthelp/. Please note that we intend to use ParentMail as our sole method of communication from September unless specific alternative arrangements have been made otherwise. Read more here.
- Parent Pay | We operate a cashless system at the Academy using the online service Parent Pay. All of your child’s payments are made using Parent Pay including Meal Payments, Trip Payments, Academy Transport and much more. If you would like any assistance in setting up your Parent Pay account or have any queries, please don’t hesitate to contact us at email@example.com or ring 01782 882300. For a step by step guide, please click here.
- We launched our own annual festival this term, as parents and carers turned out for CASFest. Local groups and businesses all came together to put on a 5-hour festival for the local community, who turned up in numbers to enjoy a variety of stall, rides, and entertainment. We would like to thank all of our guests who came out to enjoy the sunshine with us. We will be hosting this festival again next year and hope you can make it for that one as well. We would also like to thank all of the local businesses and acts who took part, as well as our Heads of Houses (especially Mrs Shufflebotham) who made the event possible. Read more here.
- Some of our Year 7 students’ were lucky enough to have The Digital Skills Company visit them this week, as they delivered a full day’s workshop on digital skills and online life. Shelley and Laura guided the students’ through the murky online world, as they learned about advertising; clickbait; viral campaigns and much more. Year 7 really enjoyed the workshops and produced some great work. We are thankful to The Digital LifeSkills Company (especially Shelley and Laura) for visiting us and delivering the sessions. We hope to host more in the future. Read more here.
- Year 9 students’ have penned letters to the Japanese Minister after the Japenese government passed a ruling for companies. The companies can now enforce dress codes requiring women to wear high heels at work. And that hasn’t gone down well with our students’ who feel this unfair. So, with the support of Ms Matloob, the students’ wrote compelling letters that have now been sent Shinzō Abe. The work completed has featured in our local paper The Sentinel. Read more here.
- Our budding actors and actresses performed their annual summer show, as a record crowd attended Shrek the Musical! As ever, the play was a great success and widely enjoyed by parents; carers and the local community. Thank you for those who bought a ticket and we look forward to welcoming you back in December for our pantomime.
Dates for your diary!
Last day before the holidays: Friday 19 July 2019 – Lessons finish at 3:20pm as usual.
Summer holidays: The Summer Holidays run from Monday 22nd July until Wednesday 4th September. During these weeks, the Academy will be closed. Please note, Monday 2nd September and Tuesday 3rd September are Teacher Training Days – therefore the Academy will be closed to students.
First day back: Wednesday 4th September.